Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Fresh Start

So, I've tried, and failed, in the past to start blogging. I'm hoping that, at least for now, I'll be successful in keeping up to date and active. I've been brewing for about 3 years now and have slowly refined and reined in my techniques through much reading, much practice and through competitive brewing, judging and being actively involved with my home brew club, HoPS! (see the link on the side of the page for more information.)

My interest in beer goes back further, however. I made the decision early on that if I was going to drink beer, it was going to be real beer. Of course, at the time, real beer meant Guinness or Amber Bock. Funny how times change. I first learned about beer and it's variety and spleandor when I discovered ratebeer.com. I make an effort to try a vast variety of commercial beers, both good and bad, in an effort to expand my palate and to enrich my beery knowledge. At this point, I've reached a place where I'm over rarity and just want to find quality beers worth drinking. Which has led me down my road of homebrewing.

At this point, I've decided that if I want to do interesting beers, I need to know what the hell I'm doing. As a result, I've reined in my whimsy in exchange for focus on a refined and more technically proficient product. So, naturally, I've been on a German style kick lately. I'll outline my last few brew days in the near future, but for now let's just say that I'm brewing the best beer of my short brewing life right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment