Friday, March 18, 2011

What is the BJCP/Competition Update

So what is the BJCP? Well, it is the Beer Judge Certification Program and was basically created to interject some objectivity into beer judging by promoting beer literacy and the appreciation of real beer, and to recognize beer tasting and evaluation skills. They are also creaters of the style guide that is used by virtually all homebrew competitions in the US. I have placed their link to the right in the link list if you're interested in learning more about the program. A large number of the membership of my homebrew club, HoPS!, are currently engaged in a class with Steve McKenna for the exam in mid May. I believe that we will have 10+ members involved in the BJCP once this happens.

As for me, I'm officially up to Certified rank in the BJCP now! I 'officially' have 5.5 points on my judging record (though I am still due 2 other points, and I'll be gaining 2 more from BOSS & NHC First Round). 5 points are needed for Certified level, as well as a score of 70 or better on the BJCP Exam (which I just squeaked by without really studying).


The next available rank will be National, which requires 20 points and a score of 80 or better, followed by Master, which requires 40 points and a score of 90 or better. Grand Master (or Dungeon Master, as I like to call it) is the acme of the program, requiring 100 points, judging of at least 50 exams and serving in a service capacity for the BJCP. A score of 90 or better is also required. For every 100 points, you gain a level to your Grand Master status.

Points are gained through experience, either judging or stewarding, as well as through grading exams. Regarding judging/stewarding points, you will receive a minimum of 1pt if you judge in a competition, up to a maximum of 1.5pts per day. In order to get the .5 pts bonus, you will need to judge three flights in that day. If a competition is more than one day, you will receive at least 1 pt per day. For instance, I judged at the Upper Mississippi Mash Out over two days and received 2.5pts as I judged 3 flights the first day (1.5pts) and 2 flights the second day (2pts). Most interesting, I stayed basically sober throughout the competition because of the way in which it was ran, limiting flights to 8 beers or less if possible. I wish every comp was run so efficiently!

Now that I'm on about Competitions, a quick update. I've had all pretty decent scores, some in the thirties, some in the twenties and I picked up a second place with my Altbier at BABBLE in a combined category of Bocks & Alts. Not too shabby. Hopefully I'll have more good news in a couple weeks when I get the results from BOSS!

No comments:

Post a Comment